Sunday, October 25, 2009

Family History

I have been on a bit of a family history kick recently as I've felt a little pressure to tell my kids stories about their forefathers and the people whom they are named after. I feel this is especially important because I've married into a family that is intertwined with the history of the Mormon church. So as I learn more about Church history, I invariably learn stories about Steve's ancestors and now the ancestors of my children. I want to make them realize what great legacies they are fortunate enough to be apart of. This has also made me increasingly curious about my own family history. This past summer I was able to interview both of my grandpas. I feel so lucky to have grown up so close to them. What wonderful men and fathers! I have been amazed at how much written material is out there about the histories of each of my grandparents. In fact, my Grandma Wells told me today that she has the written histories of each one of their 16 great grandparents. I feel like I have a lot of reading to do. While in Salt Lake City, we visited the SLC Cemetery and the Smith family plot. I also got to see the grave of my fifth Great Grandpa Baldwin which just happend to be right across the street. My goal is to organize myself in such a way as to teach my children about the wonderful men and women who immigrated to America and made great sacrifice to practice their religion.

I was also interested to learn that the Church presented President Barack Obama a multi -volume family history this past summer. (They did the same with President Bush and President Clinton). President Obama said that he was looking forward to reading it with his family. Now, if only the Church would do that for me. I guess Steve needs to become President of the United States. Forget dentistry. What are the perks in that? (Besides toothbrushes of course.)


2 comments:

enickel said...

Ya, you are right, Stephen should forget being a dentist and become pres of the US so you can have a bound copy of your family history. Or you could just pay for one! :) So much to teach our kids and so little time and energy. I am glad that we are now a part of the same history. Glad you are in my family!

Britney said...

I love what you're doing with family history. I've been more curious about my ancestry lately, too, and need to be proactive like you've been. I didn't even know Jer's mom has written histories on all 16. I need a copy of that!

You're doing great things, Steph.