Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Reasons I want a Boat

I think most of my friends and family know that I want a boat someday. In fact, I think we will buy a boat before we buy anything else in life including a house. I know this is probably not the most financially smart thing to do, but I feel like the investment into family and fun is much more important. Here are some of my reasons. FYI. I am talking about boating on the Puget Sound although I like inland lakes too.

1) Inner tubing. Nothing like the thrill of a great ride and that frightening moment when you realize that you are about to hit a big wave.

2) Learning to ski. This builds character. It's a hard thing and you join an exclusive club when you can get up consistently. There is nothing like the feeling of soreness the morning after your first ski of the season.

3) Good for friends. I have loved all of my friends who have included me in their boating experience. I definitely want a boat that can be enjoyed by all. I am in debt to many people.

4) Learn to drive. The pressure of launching a boat with a long line of people waiting behind you is something that will teach you to how to back a boat down a launch real quick. I hope Thomas can learn by the age of 15:)

5) Family time. Everyone is forced to sit and talk on a boat. There is an intimacy created by all being together. No one can leave. Everyone is working together to have a great time. Also, there is not a lot of cell phone coverage especially at many lakes and on the Puget Sound. I know this has been a great escape from work and church responsibilities for my Grandpa and parents. Many of my fondest memories are with my family members on a boat.

6) Freedom. Nothing like the freedom of driving a boat on the Puget Sound. You can go anywhere and park on some random beach and have a nice barbecue. Perhaps my real career in life was to be a sailor.

So here's to Steve getting a real job so that one day I can have a boat and invite everyone on it.





4 comments:

Libby said...

i too would love to have a boat someday. when i think back to the best family memories i have they involve a boat. all of the reasons you listed are exactly why i want a boat too. it is the best!

Andrea said...

Cheers to that! Your reasons are very convincing. Forget being a sailor, you need to work at the boat dealer. :)

yamsey said...

Hear! Hear! You know, John's Mustang was almost a boat. Lucky for him he decided on the car since that is how he got me to marry him. =) Or so he says.

aaron s said...

This was the happiest blog I read all week!