The other day, much to my shock, a bird flew through our kitchen and living room. I didn't know that I was scared of birds, but I soon discovered that apparently I am afraid of confined, black birds. I would say large, but as you can see in the picture, it was a medium size bird and I have no idea how it got in my house. The bird made its entrance in the late afternoon. Thomas was obviously thrilled. He kept running around trying to catch the bird while I had all kinds of horrible imaginations about crazy diseases. I went and got his yellow plastic bat to try and herd it out of the door. It probably was one of the funniest scenes. Thomas would run at the bird and then I would stand by the door swinging the plastic bat to try and convince it to leave out the door. Unfortunately, after trying for about 30 minutes, I simply gave up. I definitely was not going to stay in the house with the bird though so I took the kids and we went to the YMCA. Steve wasn't planning on coming home that night as he had a late lecture, but I convinced him that he needed to make a quick stop for the sanity of his wife. Steve only took five minutes to get rid of the bird. He was much smarter. He turned off all the lights in the house, turned on the porch light, opened the window and then herded it out. He said it was quite easy. Whatever. The bird scared me to death. I did learn by my friends at the YMCA that birds in your house bring luck. So here's hoping!!!!
One other quick story. I had a scare a few weeks ago when I thought Donny was choking. He was crying so I knew his airway wasn't completely blocked off, but I had no idea why he was gasping and struggling for breath. I was on the phone with a good friend of mine who immediately sent her husband over to help. In the meantime, I called 9-1-1. My friend's husband and our neighbor arrived about five minutes before the ambulance and by then, Donny had already dislodged whatever was choking him. We then waited for the ambulance together. After a few more minutes, we saw the fire engine and ambulance pull up to a house down the street so we had to wave them over. The whole time I was so grateful that Donny wasn't actually choking. Seriously, I learned an important lesson to call my friends along with 9-1-1. Their response time was much faster. Hewitt stood in front of our glass screen door to look out at the emergency vehicles and screamed everytime a firefighter made him move. It was a bit embarassing. Thankfully, they didn't stay too long and after doing a quick checkup of Donny's lungs, they promptly left. My friends and I were talking when we suddenly noticed Thomas and Hewitt playing with a big, black machine (defibrillator) on the floor. My friend explained to Thomas what a defibrillator did including that it will shock your heart. Thomas was pumped. I hurried and called 9-1-1 back to come and pick up their machine before Thomas started doing experiments. What a crazy morning. Donny fell asleep soon afterwards and we had a nice, quiet afternoon.
In less exciting news, Donny is getting into everything.
13 comments:
Whoa. You've had a crazy couple of weeks! I'm glad Donny's okay, and that no one was infected by the bird. That would creep me out, too.
And you'll have to let us know if that myth about birds in the house being lucky is true or not. :)
Good grief, Steph... Crazy. But funny, in hindsight, right? :) Our favorite story was about Thomas and the defibrillator. That, my friend, is classic.
Glad everything ended well.
So, were you trying to "herd" the bird out with the big yellow bat, or were you really just trying to kill it. I think that latter. Haha.
I found a bird in my friend's dorm room once (she was out of town for the weekend). I went downstairs to the guys in charge of the building and they borrowed a pillowcase, caught the bird, and released it out the window. It took all of five minutes but you could never have paid me enough to do that myself. You are not the only one scared of birds in their living space!
what a lot of excitement! the choking thing would have really scared me too...I'm so glad everything is okay. I find it a lot harder this time, with the 3rd one, to keep all the little things off the floor. So Nathan is always putting things in his mouth. And of course getting into everything, like Donny! Such active little boys.
My girls LOVED this entry. I can't believe you left the bird there to do whatever it wanted while you were gone! I think birds come down the chimney sometimes. Your boys are so entertaining.
The bird made me laugh. I am amazed that you were able to get a picture of the bird! The amount of screaming that would have been taking place at our house we would have only been able to get a photo of bird poopies.
The defibrillator, you should have told your friend with Thomas ignorance could be bliss, at least he didn't give it a try on Hewitt! Glad Donnie is alright, after that you deserve some luck!
LOL.
That post made me laugh. Wish I could have been there. We'll HAVE to see you guys before we head to MN. Our house goes on the market this week. Wish us luck.
Love ya!
You know birds beaks do look sharp up close. I don't blame you for being scared . . . and the bird flu nasty little bug.
Thank you for asking I am feeling alot better this past week. 12 weeks along now. Woah it is crazy to tell people I am pregnant. It makes it feel more real. Anyways, let us know if you are going to be around Wa this summer. Love to see you.
I'm glad the choking ordeal didn't last long! That is one of the scariest things. You were smart to call 911 so quickly. I usually just think I can handle it and everything will be okay. That's not very smart.
The bird thing is just funny. I can't believe you were afraid of it!
I would want to get it out before it left any reminders that it had been there!
Okay, so now we know you do have a weakness...birds of all things!
We had a bird come in the house once too. He came into the kitchen from an open window and almost flew right into me! But the 2 squirrels in the fireplace were the worst. For one, we built a tunnel for it to escape out in. I guess the poor guy finally figured it out because we never saw him again. The second squirrel died. Squished in the vent after a day of thrashing around and trying to find a way out. That wasn't as fun.
hi steph! i was excited to get your comment on my blog. want you to know i still remember you every time i listen to that crazy CD you burned for me--remember that? nostalgic 80s and 90s? good stuff! glad to see you guys are well!
Crazy. I'm glad you took a picture of the bird. it is funny to see a bird perched on your couch. And I'm glad Donny is okay. i would have freaked out. i don't do well in those situations. Remember when you had the fire trucks and ambulances come to Abbey Terr. too.
Post a Comment